Not all saturated fat is bad! Coconut oil is cholesterol and trans fat free and rich in medium-chain “good fats”. (Scroll down for Facts on Fats!)
Nutiva Extra-Virgin Coconut Oil is…
- Certified organic and non-GMO
- Made from fresh coconuts, not dried copra
- Made with our Fresh is Best ™ commitment
- Free of contaminates
- Improves digestion and nutrient absorption
- Promote loss of excess weight
- Antibacterial, antiviral, antifungal
- Guaranteed long shelf life
- Heat resistant- the best oil for cooking
* Other brands utilize heat and fermentation, waiting more than 10 hours between chopping the coconut and pressing the oil, adversely affecting flavour.
How coconut oil is processed is the key to optimizing its taste, texture, colour and aroma. Within two hours of Nutiva’s coconuts being chopped, the oil is cold-pressed. Contrast this with 99 percent of the coconut oil used today in cooking and body care. First, the coconut is chopped and left to dry in the sun for days. Then the meat is scooped out and sent thousands of miles to giant oil mills where the oxidizing coco meat is refined, bleached, and/or deodorized. Ironically, this product is often labeled as “certified organic.”
There is no comparison between Nutiva’s raw, extra-virgin Organic Coconut Oil, with its light taste, pleasant aroma, and pure white colour, and industrialized coconut oil, with its bland taste, faint aroma, and off-white color.
The Truth About FATS
Since the 1960s, coconut oil has been mistakenly described as unhealthy. The media reported on studies finding that tropical coconut oils were laden with artery-clogging fats. What went unreported was the fact that the coconut oil used in the studies was hydrogenated—not the virgin oil used for centuries as a staple food. Coconut oil contains Medium Chain Fatty Acids. MCT from coconut oil is used in hospital formulas to feed the very young, the critically ill, and those who have digestive problems. It makes up a vital part of the solutions fed to patients intravenously.
Coconut oil is about 50 percent lauric acid, a rare medium-chain fatty acid found in mother’s milk that supports healthy metabolism and is now being studied for its anti-fungal, anti-viral, and anti-bacterial health-protecting properties. Overall, coconut oil contains 92% saturated fats, and only 1% Omega-6, the fat Americans get way too much of. In fact, these MCFAs speed up the metabolism because they are quickly converted to energy by the body, resulting in the loss of excess weight.
Did you know…
- Nutiva’s Coconut oil is solid at room temperature, and can be spread like a butter. At 24°C (76°F), it melts to a crystal clear liquid. No refrigeration required.
- Coconut oil can also be used as a skin moisturizer.